Sunday, May 26, 2013

Concept Storytime

The library where I've been doing baby-toddler storytime has hired their own children's librarian, so I've been playing second fiddle there, while training the new chibrarian (Ha!). She has decided that instead of either of us reading all the stories, that we'll split up storytime, meaning I'll do two stories and two songs/fingerplays.
For my half, I focused on concepts. 

Below by Nina Crews
The Crews family make really photo-picture books and this one might be my favorite. Below is the story of Jack a boy and his toy figurine, Guy, who falls down a hole while they're playing together. Jack rescues his friend, but only after some thought about what Guy might be going through. I like books that offer pauses for thought, and this one does it well, illustrating Jack's imagination's and all the possibilities of below. Great for toddler and preschool storytimes, but probably too simple for older children.

Action song: This Is Big (Have the kids get up or stay seated and use their arms and legs to indicate each of the opposite words.)
This is big big big.
From I Can Fly by Mary Blair
This is small small small.
This is short short short.
This is tall tall tall.
This is fast fast fast.
This is slow slow slow.
This is yes yes yes.
This is no no no.
This is hot hot hot.
This is cold cold cold.
This is stop stop stop.
This is go go go. 

Mary Blair Treasury of Golden Books
I remember reading some of the books within when I was little, so I was very pleased to come across this book that holds many, if not all Blair's children's books. I read I Can Fly and The Up and Down Book at baby-toddler storytimes and they did well. I think the audience was entranced by the pretty illustrations.

No comments: